Friday, January 01, 2010

A New year....a new beginning...

It's taken me 6 long months to conjure up enough patience to sit and compose a new post on my blog. My brain seemed to be bereft of ideas, given that I had pretty much started to eat, sleep and drink either Log Review (thats my work) or Quantitative Ability, Data Interpretation and Verbal Ability!! But all that's behind me now......for the moment at least......got GMAT next month, so have to get around to preparing for that as well. It's good to be back updating my blog though.....something I had promised myself I would do once the new year begins.

Most people I've met recently have always ended up asking me one question first up.....how were your exams? So let me put forth my standard, now memorized, response for everyone reading this: CAT was good, but then the problem is that it was good for everyone, so can't really say...gonna be really tough and competitive this time.......SNAP was very good, expecting GDPI calls from both SIBMs. I think I'll have to take a printout of this and stick it on my head the next time someone asks me how CAT n SNAP were!! Work's goin' along fine....same ol', nothing new. The fresh batch of campus recruits joined this past week.......watching them reminded me of when we joined in July 2k8 and the amount of fun we had......some really good times, especially those first 3-4 months.

Movies...hmm.....well I'm finally going to catch Avatar in IMAX 3D tomorrow....can't wait! 3 Idiots was the last one I saw......I'm not gonna review it 'cos by now I'm sure everyone knows how good it is. Although, I would like to comment on the whole Vidhu Vinod-Aamir-Chetan Bhagat controversy. Frankly, I side with the 3 Idiots team on this issue, 'cos I really think Chetan Bhagat is being an ass by saying that "70% of the movie is based on his book". What a load of hogwash; has he himself seen the movie, and read his own book??!! Let me list just what all has been taken from his book in the movie:
?
1. The basic character sketch of the primary characters
2. The setting i.e an engineering college and its lifestyle, Sharman's poor family background, Kareena being the daughter of the Principal (in the book it was the HOD)
3. Three scenes: one where the three of them climb into Kareena's room at night, the one where they break into Boman's office to steal the question papers, and Sharman's attempted suicide.

Does that qualify anywhere close to 70%?? I don't think so. Also, none of the above aspects have been directly lifted from the book, only the ideas have been taken. Even the phrase "based on the book" is inaccurate; it is at best "inspired by the book". The storyline is completely different, and Chetan's claim that the story and it's twists and turns have been taken from his book is utter rubbish. Anyway, the producers had signed a contract with Chetan which entitled him to a certain amount of money and that a disclaimer mentioning his book be shown in the movie. Both aspects have been duly honoured by Vidhu Vinod Chopra, so what's your problem, Chetan? You want more credit? Hell, everyone has been talking about your book from the moment the movie was announced, how much more credit and publicity do you want?? None of the memorable moments from the movie, such as Chatur's speech and the twist just before the interval, were in the book. Chatur's character itself, which was probably the most entertaining of them all, was not in the book (ok yes that nerdy guy was there but there was just a fleeting mention of him, no real prominence given). I just feel that Chetan is trying to cash in on all the success that the movie is enjoying and generate some publicity for his most recent book. Consider the case of Slumdog Millionaire: did Vikas Swaroop cry foul when the makers of the movie didn't include him in the publicity even though the movie was based on his book "Q&A"?No! Again, the contract was honoured, the disclaimer was displayed mentioning his book, and everyone was happy. What makes Chetan Bhagat's case any different? Of course, Vidhu Vinod's outburst at the media was not justified, and he has since apologized for that, but they really could've done without all this crap.

Many of you who know me well must be wondering why I haven't mentioned Liverpool yet :) . Well, the rant will come soon, 'cos I sure have a lot to say about them and their sorry season so far. I'll need one whole post for that actually, so that's next! Until then, keep checking in guyz....

No comments: