Saturday, June 26, 2010

A memorable and eye-opening week...

The events of the last one week, particularly over the last 3 days, have truly been incredible and have served as an invaluable eye-opener. I struggle to remember when was the last time I learnt so many useful lessons in life in such a short span of time. It's been a period where I have had the privilege of witnessing first hand why IIM-A is what it is....the no. 1 management institute in the country, the land of Gods, the most awesome campus to live and learn in, and being in the presence of the most helpful and loving bunch of "tuchchas" anywhere, anytime. In obedience of the sanctity of this institute and my duties as a WIMWIan, I won't reveal any of the events that transpired on campus over the last few days.....but all I'll say is that, I'm in awe of this place and it's inhabitants! Professionalism takes on a whole new meaning out here.

Classes began on Friday, and so we were introduced to the case method of studying. One thing's for sure...this method ensures you don't laze around. Preparation is everything out here.....u don't come to a class prepared -> u would have no idea what's being discussed -> u can't take part in the discussion -> you're screwed. Each case contains a situation that requires a person or an organisation to make a decision. Invariably, the prof. begins the session simply by saying "What should xxx do?"; there's no summarising the case or dwelling upon the facts, so if you haven't read it, you're nowhere. That also leads up to the dreaded concept of "cold-calls", where if you aren't prepared for a case, and a prof. points to you and asks for your opinion.....well...u get the idea! There's only one thing to note: tolerance for any kind of academic indiscipline is non-negotiable and ZERO (in fact I would say it strays into negative territory!).

This weekend would be our first WAC submission....a phenomenon unique and made notoriously famous by IIM-A! It's going to be quite an experience staying up all Friday night and preparing the WAC report. Although I would try my best to avoid that situation during the week, I'm fairly certain I would eventually succumb to the customary rituals of WIMWI...everyone does! Let's see how it goes. Anyway, that's it for now....rest later....cheers..

No comments: