Saturday, June 19, 2010

WIMWI - First impressions....

A tingling feeling ran through my body as I entered the gates of the "Well-known Institute of Management in Western India" (WIMWI) a.k.a IIM, Ahmedabad a.k.a my home for the next 2 years. I couldn't believe it......the day had finally arrived, here I am! The sheer grandeur emanating from the red brick walls that constitute the marvellous architecture in the campus reminded me of the enormity of what I'm about to venture into. As I stepped out of the cab, the Harvard steps loomed in front of me......something that until now I had only seen pictures of. Greenery everywhere......but even at 8.45 a.m, one thing kept coming up in my mind.....damn it's hot! And why is the air so still.....can't there even be a breeze of like 0.01 m/s??! Is that too much to ask for??

Dorm 15, Room 21. That's where I've checked into. First time in a hostel, yet suddenly I didn't feel alien.....in fact I felt quite at home. The room is in many ways similar to my room at home (except for one notable omission....an AC!). One thing's for sure.....IIM Ahmedabad definitely has it's own unique ways of reminding you why it's right up there at the top.....be it the magnificent Louis Kahn Plaza, the Harvard Steps, the subway connecting the two campuses lined with pictures and clippings, the characteristic WIMWI dorm architecture with the two huge round holes in the middle (looks like a mega-size speaker case with the actual speakers removed!) etc.

Some pics:

That's my dorm....dorm 15

The famed Harvard Steps

LKP...magnificent!

Am yet to venture into the mess, so can't comment on d food yet. Revisited Pakwan with my parents....food there is as delicious as ever! Some shopping done....a look around the campus....yeah that was pretty much my day today. Registration tomorrow. Shall post more later. Cheers...

No comments: