Sunday, December 07, 2008

Be a Man! - An ode to RP

It was a typical Sunday morning at home. I had basically nothing to do, so there I was, staring at my PC screen, glancing through the contents of my Western Digital 500 GB "My Book", looking for something to watch and pass the time. Usually, its a random episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S, or some downloaded Youtube videos, or some specific scenes I love watching in certain movies (movies like A Few Good Men, Rush Hour 3 etc.....no, not those types of scenes, you perverts!!). This time, I was in the mood for some good ol' fashioned humour, so who else do I turn to, but our good friend, philosopher n guide, Russell Peters! :) As I began watching Outsourced for the 10^xth time, where x -> +infinity, I thought...hey, I was anyway looking for something to write on my blog, I finally think I have it! So, all you people who have only heard the name "Russell Dominic Peters", here is a quick refresher course on one of the greatest comedians of our time!!

First, get certain things straight: (a) He is NOT an Indian, he is a Canadian, born to Indian parents (b) Yes, that IS his real name.....as he himself says it "You have a doubt? Ask my parents, Eric and Maureen! And my brother Julio!" (although his brother's name is actually Clayton). Being an average student at school, comedy slowly became his "thing". He started doing stage shows in his late teens, and his popularity spread like wildfire. Soon he was performing in the States, doing a variety of stand-up acts both on television and in front of live audiences on stage. His unique repertoire of jokes, broadly ranging from those based on his Indian origin, different types of Asians, to the peculiarities of the British and Africans has brought the whole world down to the floor roaring with laughter. His impeccable impressions of Indians, Chinese, British, South Americans etc. leaves one craving for more everytime a show ends. Trademark lines include "Somebody gonna getta hurt real bad!", "Be a Man!", "!Xobile...he's got a click in his name!!!!", "I give you best deal.....34.50!" .....man, there's so many! Each and every joke of his is LEGENDARY in its own right!

Some of his best creations are part of his comedy special "Outsourced", still a top-selling DVD hit. He has featured numerous times on shows like Comedy Central, Just for Laughs etc. He has also hosted a number of award shows, having a handsome collection of awards himself. These include 4 Gemini awards, which are the official Canadian Television awards. His popularity grew worldwide with the dawn of the Youtube era, with his comic acts registering mind-boggling number of hits among users. Taking advantage of his ever growing popularity, Russell has done stage shows in a large number of countries including UK, Australia, India, Denmark, Sweden, South Africa, the Carribean etc.

Recently, Russell was in India as a part of a world tour to promote his new DVD, "Red, White and Brown", as well as celebrate his 20th anniversary in the business. I was among the fortunate ones to witness the side-splitting treat, and boy did he deliver! I swear I must've laughed more in those 1.5 hours than in the last 5 years of my life!! Poor old Sikander Kher, and that other director whose name I can't quite recollect, they'll be wishing they had given this one a miss! Russell has single-handedly ruined their careers I think! It indeed was an unforgettable experience.

Well I guess that's all you need to know. So, all you folks, here is the algorithm you need to follow:
1. Start
2. Log onto http://www.youtube.com/
3. Search for "Russell Peters"
4. Think of sad things, cry as much as you can......'cos the only tears you'll now be shedding are from all the hysterical laughter that is about to follow!
5. Click on a search result, and let the video load.
6. Watch video, laugh your a** off
7. If (you want more) Then goto step 5, else goto step 8
8. Lie down, relax, let that stomach ache die down!
9. Stop

Until the next...Good Day!

No comments: