Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Of Monks and Merseysiders...

"Never forget the importance of living with unbridled exhiliration. Never neglect to see the exquisite beauty in all living things. Today, and this very moment, is a gift. Stay focused on your purpose. The Universe will take care of everything else" - Robin Sharma

I picked this up from a book that I thought I would never read, but eventually got around to reading it. I am, of course, talking about the philosopher's delight, "The Monk who sold his Ferrari". Though it has been touted as a must-read for quite some time now for all book lovers, I was always reluctant to read it, given that I read books (and similarly watch movies) purely as a leisure activity and for entertainment, and not for exercising my mind. As such, I have never been a fan of non-fictional and philosophical works. But I decided that the time has come for me to expand my horizons in reading, and so I gave TMWSHF a shot. It's pretty decent, and certainly didn't put me to sleep at least, although I was not too impressed with the character portrayal of John, a supposed Harvard graduate, and some portions of the discourse being offered to him by the "monk" Julian (A Harvard graduate not knowing how to light a fire given a magnifying glass, a piece of paper, and some wood? Really??! Hell then getting into Harvard should be a piece of cake for me!!). One thing's for sure, the book does not teach you anything new, nor is it meant to. Whatever is essayed is pure common sense, expanded with the help of some flowery descriptions and examples. In fact, the whole book can be summed up in one line: "A healthy mind, a healthy body and a well-defined objective in life, pursued with everlasting determination, focus and passion....therein lies the key to all success". But, I must admit, it certainly has encouraged me to further widen my scope of books to read and pick up those that at one point I would've thought would be "dull and boring".

Hmm....havn't talked about football for quite some time! Well, lets see, Liverpool on top...Chelsea losing at home...ManU not clicking into gear...Arsenal may have beaten Chelsea n ManU, but they still suck this season...is there anything more left to say?? :) But yeah, the Reds have just a point's lead, when ideally it should've been 5 or more. 0-0 draws at home against the likes of Fulham, West Ham and Stoke City just aint the way to go, so they need to get their scoring boots on....but fear not, 'cos with Torres returning from injury, things can only get better...YNWA!!

Prison Break S4 simply rocks!!! The magic of Scofield n co still lives on, after a disappointing season 3. All those who still havnt started watching, well, what the hell r u waiting for???? Get your hands on a copy now! Heroes S3 just aint good enough, although it is picking up slowly. And "How I met your mother", well, it definitely is turning out to be the new "F.R.I.E.N.D.S"!

Hmmm...........sleepy now....damn...its just 10.10 pm!! Oh yeah...new episode of Heroes...completely forgot...gotta see it...so Cheerio! Until the next..

No comments: